"PERTH" for SGIFF Film Club (June 29th Screening)



Scheduled for a screening as part of the "SGIFF Film Club" this coming June 29th is "PERTH", a 2004 Singaporean drama film that was presented at the 17th Singapore International Film Festival.

It stars Lim Kay Tong as "Harry Lee", a part-time security guard and taxicab driver in Singapore, whose ideal retirement plan is to move to Perth, Australia. "When an entrepreneurial friend gets him a job driving upscale call girls to clients for some extra money, it awakens a dark and dangerous attempt at personal redemption.". (Rated "M18").



Screens Wednesday, June 29th from 7:00PM to 9:30PM. You can book your tickets online via sgiff.com, each priced at SG$38 per (include a light meal). All shows are held at Crane @ Robertson Quay.

You can find out more about Singapore International Film Festival and the SGIFF Film Club via sgiff.com



(Above screengrab of this FB-post)



Directed by L.A.-based Djinn Ong (who will be back in Singapore during this period too!), "PERTH" was the 5th feature film I had worked on ("Production Design" credited on IMDb), and I've seen it in a darkened cinema hall twice in my lifetime; once during it's local premiere, and another time when I screened it in a local technical college where I was lecturing at (I held my breathe each time the students giggled at the vulgarities hurled on screen), nearly a decade later.

And while I have watched it a few more times on DVD both Region-3 and Region-1 (where there is a special "Set Design Featurette" too), I am always curious to know what folks think of the film. Even moreso when I oft regale (to whomever wants to listen) that this film came the closest to what I had wanted to achieve in my chosen craft then, so yes, I do take this as a personal curiosity, self-servingly so.

For folks who are interested in behind the scenes - from the design and "Art Department" POV - you can check out my personal filmart-blog, and as well images uploaded on my Facebook (dedicated links listed below), cheers.

PERTH (Behind The Scenes)
The "Lost (Bugis) Set"
Perth Movie Polaroids
Perth Movie Stills


Popular Posts